body link=##FF3300 body vlink=#660099

X-Men: Evolution of the Heart: Chapter Twenty Nine

Author's note: Author's note: This chapter concerns the whole Phoenix aspect of Jean that the cartoon never addressed. I have chosen Dark Phoenix to be the big villain in this series, not Apocalypse (don’t expect Apocalypse to be in this series). I have tried to take some aspects from the comic book and add them with a few concepts of my own. I also plan to add a new character that was inspired from another one of my stories. I hope you all like him!

Also, I've tried to make this so you can put in to the cartoon and not just this story. So you can think of this to maybe take place after the final episode 'Ascension'.

The song "Kiss from a Rose" belongs to Seal.

The Keeper and the Saviour

As the fog cleared before the bewildered X-Men, a lone figure took shape. It was a young man who looked like he was in his early twenties. He was a bit taller than Scott, he had medium-length blond hair, and bore a muscular frame. He wore a strange array of dark blue samurai-like armor that was riddled with mysterious symbols of mysticism and had strange marks on the backs of each hand that looked Chinese. However, the most dominating feature on this mysterious man was a strange looking tattoo over his left eye. This strange mark seemed to glow in a mysterious aura, hinting that there was more to it than meets the eye. This man also had a large, ominous sword in a case on his back that had equally strange marks on it as his armor. Overall, he had a commanding, yet somewhat non-threatening presence.

"It is good to finally meet you all. Even under such grave circumstances," said the man as he approached the X-Men.

"It was you." said Kitty, "You're the one who bought us back here."

"Indeed I did," he responded, AI felt it was best if I stepped in to prevent things from getting messier than they already are."

"Wait. Just who are you?" asked the Professor as the strange man who had saved their lives stood before them.

The strange man just looked back, still portraying a strangely sincere manner. Normally he wouldn't be this forthcoming, but knowing what he knew he had to make an exception. Especially to these young souls who deserved to know the truth.

"Call me, Slayer," said the mysterious man, "I am a mutant like the rest of you. But I am also a warrior and master of the mystic arts. My mutation allows me to tap and focus energy from both the physical and metaphysical realms. I am a warrior, but I'm what you may call a vigilante. I fight crime, evil, call it what you will. I do it in the shadows and I never let anybody see or know me. I fight for the side of light and purity with the skills that I have been blessed with. However, at this time there is a force upon us so powerful that even I may not be able to stop it."

"The Phoenix." said Scott as he quickly became intrigued by this mysterious man who had saved them earlier.

"Yes. The Phoenix. A living, breathing god of unimaginable power. I came as soon as I learned of its arrival. However, I was too late to do anything to prevent it from taking over your friend. But as it is, I can only help you all from making a grave mistake that may further worsen this situation," explained Slayer as bore his case before the X-Men.

"What is this mistake that you keep telling us about? And how can you know this?" asked Ororo as she asked the questions that all were still yearning to know.

"You believe that the only way to stop the Phoenix is by using psychic powers to help the host, Jean Grey, suppress it on her own do you not?" asked the mutant warrior as he looked towards the Professor, whom had come up with that plan in the first place.

The Professor stood amazed that this total stranger had known this. He was equally amazed that he had never sensed such a mutant before. He couldn't even sense him now even though he was standing right before him.

"Yes, but. What other way could possibly exist for defeating such a powerful force?" said the Professor to this mysterious man.

"You are an intelligent man Professor Charles Xavier. But you have your flaws just like the rest of us. You delude yourself when nothing is as it seems. But looks can be very deceiving. You shouldn't blame yourself for this Professor. There is no way you could ever have known what I have discovered. You lack the tools and power to know things so fantastic that any other mind would simply refuse accept it."

"Wait. Just what exactly to you have that we don't?" asked Beast eager to know more.

"Do you know your ancient Egyptian mythology Mr. Hank McCoy? If you do then you already know the tool that I posses. I have the ultimate power of knowledge within me. I have this." said Slayer as he pointed to the strange tattoo on his eye.

When Hank took a closer look, he saw what this mysterious stranger meant by those words. He did know a thing or two about ancient Egypt and this symbol was something that even a novice wouldn't have missed.

"That symbol. The all-seeing eye."

Slayer smiled at the blue mutant's perception.

"Yes. The eye of the Sphinx. Every culture has it in some form or another. An eye that sees everything no matter what."

"But isn't that just a..." started Evan, but he soon cut off.

"Myth? Well, you thought the Phoenix was also a myth. But now you know it is as real as the ground you stand upon. It's true. I possess the power to channel this powerful source of knowledge and strength. With it, I can see things no normal being will ever be able to see. I can know things others could never know. This eye sees everything. Past and present. And even in a way. It can see the future."

"So that's how you knew about us," said Scott as things began to make sense.

But the more Scott knew, the more anxious he became. He couldn't fight this feeling inside that was telling him that this man knew something more about the Phoenix. And about Jean.

"Indeed, I saw the signs as they happened. I saw events unfold that led to this horrible occurrence. And I saw the course of action that you all were planning to take. And I can NOT let that happen," stated Slayer with determination.

"Wait. Just what is it about our plan that you find so dire that you must stop it? Does it have something to do with the future? Are you a precognizant mutant or something?" asked Ororo as she grew more intrigued by what this man had to say.

Upon hearing the word >precognizant,' the mutant warrior scoffed with a light-hearted smile.

"Precognizant? You think I can see deep in to the future? I can't in that respect. But I can in another way. You see, the future only consists of three things. That's it. Three simple little forces that govern how the future is going to turn out. One is time, the ever-present force that binds us all no matter how we see it. The other is cause, for everything has a beginning. And the last is effect. The force that always complements a cause. Most people who believe in fate, like some of you may already believe, are simply people who are unable to accept that you could not stop the cause or prevent the effect. People who think that something is their destiny are just people who make a choice that they feel cannot be avoided. Those who say they can see the future. Simply have a certain gift, much like the rest of you. That gift is simply the ability to see. "

"See?" said Logan skeptically as he didn't seem to get what this guy was saying. "What do ya mean see?"

"I mean. The ability to see through all the clutter and deception that we force upon ourselves to actually see the causes that lead to the effects. Most people don't see them. Others simply don't look hard enough. Me. I have the eyes of the Sphinx. I can see causes that would otherwise go unnoticed by even the most astute observer. Just like I see the causes that have already happened and the effects that I am desperately trying to stop."

"Vhat effects are you talking about?" said Kurt as he and the others started to comprehend this strange man's philosophical words.

Slayer took a deep breath, for he knew this would be hard to tell these fragile young minds. He only hoped that they would believe his sincerity, for he had much worse that was to be told.

"I'm talking about the terrible future that will come to pass if you try to contain something that cannot and will not be contained. You will try and try again to stop the Phoenix from becoming what it is trying to be. But in the end it will only bring great suffering to your team and especially to the girl the Phoenix now possesses."

"Jean." said Scott as he felt he couldn't ignore what Slayer was saying.

"Yes. It will completely and utterly destroy her and everything you all will work so hard to gain. I know this. Because I know the Phoenix more than you could ever imagine. You see it as a force. But I know it is much more than that. The causes of such a terrible future have already happened and I seek to stop the effects. Most people would think that is an impossibility because this event is carved in the stone of destiny. But there is just one problem with that. I don't believe in destiny or fate. And because I don't believe in it. I am not a part of it."

Then, something dawned on the Professor. It was something Destiny had told him earlier and only now it made sense.

"You don't believe in fate. Then it was you. You're that uncertainty that Destiny told me about," said the Professor.

Slayer smiled back at Xavier, who seemed glad that the Professor was finally starting to get it.

"Yes. You see. I am that part of destiny that tries to shine light on its true nature and expose it for what it is. I know what you all are planning to do with the Phoenix because it is just a part of the whole cycle of cause and effect. I wish to stop this from happening. And hopefully, rewrite the future. Even if you do go forth with your plan and it succeeds, it will come at a price. And as time goes on and you end up fighting this force again and again, that price will just keep getting higher and higher until eventually, you will not be able to go through with it. That is why I will help you all in stopping this horrid force."

"Help us. How? What exactly do you know that we don't?" said Hank, eager to learn what this strange man knew.

"I know the Phoenix. I know what it wants and what it plans to do with the host," said the mutant warrior in a somewhat dark tone.

"What do you mean? What exactly is this thing and what does it want with Jean?" said Scott sternly; hoping that there was someway to save the woman he loved.

Slayer took a deep breath as he prepared to tell the X-men the whole story of the great holy Phoenix.

"The Phoenix as we call it. Is a force almost as old as the universe itself. It was created in the fires of the early universe and emerged as a pure, holy creature of our realm. It was a being of purity and creation. It bore no malevolent tendencies and it is responsible for the creation of some of the first worlds to form life. When this life became intelligent through the power of evolution, some of it began to worship the Phoenix as a God. And thus, the first religion of the universe was born. For the first billion years of life. All was peaceful, the Phoenix didn't hurt or harm anybody and the early forms of life in the universe were generally peaceful in their views towards it."

"But something happened didn't it?" said Scott who had a pretty good idea where this story was going.

Slayer nodded with a solemn look as he continued his fantastic story.

"Yes. It all came to an end on the black day when a sinister cult in a world far from Earth forever disrupted the Phoenix. Nobody knows who these beings were, but from what I do know I can safely say they were very, very evil. They saw the Phoenix as a source of power that they could use to rule over not just their world, but many other worlds as well. This race of hateful beings sacrificed millions of innocent souls to cast a horrible spell that would have far reaching effects to this very day. Using tremendous amounts of dark magic. The Phoenix was lured to the home planet of these people. And a powerful spell was cast upon it. That spell. Captured the Phoenix and imprisoned it within the body of the leader of this heinous cult. From that day forward, the once benevolent Phoenix was instilled with a great force of darkness that turned it in to the most evil entity in the universe. With the power of the Phoenix worlds were shattered, stars were destroyed and recreated, and a great period of destruction followed. When the first host died, the spell on the Phoenix remained and it was forever doomed to go from host to host, repeating the same pattern of destruction and creation. And since the Phoenix itself it naturally immortal. Nothing could stop it. Since that fateful day, the Phoenix has been through countless hosts. And now Jean Grey is next."

The X-Men listened to this amazing story with a mixture of shock and awe. An ancient God from the very depths of the universe was here on this small planet and was amassing a great wealth of power. However, it was doing this through the manipulation of one of their friends. Scott was by far taking this revelation the hardest because it involved the one person he cared for the most. And now saving Jean was all he could think about. He refused to lose her. He could not let that happen no matter what the cost.

"Slayer, if what you say is true. Then, is there any way to save Jean and stop the Phoenix?" asked Scott eagerly.

Slayer had hoped this wouldn't come. He hoped he would have to reveal what he was about to say. But he knew it was the only way. With an exasperated sigh, he started to tell these young souls the hardest thing that they would have to know.

"There is. Only one way to stop the Phoenix; one way to destroy the great evil from within, save Jean Grey, and stop the slaughter of BILLIONS of innocent souls throughout the cosmos."

"What is it?!" said Scott eagerly.

The mutant warrior looked back at the young, anxious boy who was so intent on saving the girl the Phoenix has possessed. He didn't want to tell him what had to be done. But there was no other way.

"The legend. Of the keeper and the savior. You see, when that heinous spell was cast upon the Phoenix all those eons ago. A tale arose from the survivors that spoke of a legend that would someday end the reign of this terrible darkness. They spoke of two enchanted beings, whose souls would be pure enough to stop the Phoenix and finally break the spell. These powerful beings of light came to be known as the keeper and the savior. While this legend has been lost through the countless years of time. The power of the all-seeing eye that lies within me has found it and I know the two beings that can save this and many other worlds from total destruction. The keeper is a blessed soul who has a great power from birth that few have, yet has an inherent sense of purity that will help subdue the great beast. But not stop it. That being, the keeper, is Jean Grey."

That came to nobody's surprise, but Slayer had told only half the legend. He seemed to be stalling on the other half.

"What about the savior? Who is he?" asked Scott.

Slayer just stared straight back at Scott with an ominous look.

"He's you. Scott Summers," said Slayer plainly.

"WHAT?" exclaimed Scott as well as some of the other X-Men.

"You are the savior. You are the only person in the universe that can stop the darkness within the Phoenix once and for all. And only you can save Jean Grey from becoming the next host of this horrid beast."

"But how?" said a bewildered Scott as he couldn't see how some mutant orphan boy from the streets could be the only hope for stopping an ancient force powerful enough to destroy worlds.

Slayer sighed once more as he got to the hardest part of the legend that he was forced to tell.

"The Phoenix hasn't left this planet yet. It can't. According to the outline of the spell cast upon the Phoenix, it must fully take over the host in order to achieve its full power. The only way it can do this is through the power of a great holy site on the planet of the host. I know where this site is. And it is here where the savior comes in. According to the legend at this point where the Phoenix amasses its power the savior will make a great sacrifice that will destroy the evil from within, break the spell for good, and free the host from her confinement."

"Sacrifice? What kind of sacrifice?" asked Xavier wearily.

Slayer's look grew more solemn as he looked back over at Scott and told him what he must do to save Jean Grey.

"The ultimate sacrifice. The savior must make a true choice of the heart and leap in to the flames of the Phoenix, sacrificing his life in the process. Through the power of this act the mind, body, and soul of the savior will cleanse the evil from within and break the spell forever. You, Scott Summers, must make this sacrifice if you are to save the girl that lies within. You must give your life in order to save countless others, including Jean's."

The X-Men looked back at the mutant warrior with a mixture of shock and anger as they now understood what he was saying. Scott only stood in silence as his mind struggled to process this information.

"Oh no, no way Scott. You wanna get yourself killed?!" exclaimed Rogue as she heard what this mysterious man was saying.

"But. That means that you'll be dead." said Kurt as he walked over to Scott.

"But will Jean live?" asked Scott, whose main concern was still Jean and not his own life.

"Yes, she will live. But you will not," reminded Slayer.

Scott's mind was in a state of pure conflict. He had billions of lives and the life of the girl he loved resting on his shoulders. Normally, his mind would tell him that this man, Slayer, was lying. However, he just couldn't fight the nagging voice within him that was saying that he spoke the truth. And it was the only way. His thoughts then drifted back to Jean, whose screams could still be heard in his mind when he saw that terrible monster take control of her body. Scott then thought back to all the time he had spent with this girl who he had saved in that ally all those years ago. This girl whom Scott believe to be an angel that appeared in his dreams in his darkest hour. She was a girl who had been through a life of hell just like he had been and knew all too well the pain and suffering that came along with having such a terrible past. She was the girl whom he had treasured every moment with. This girl whom he loved so deeply and would do anything to save. Suddenly, Scott's choice became clear and his path set before him. He was going to save her from this malevolent deity. No matter what the cost.

"Then it's settled. I'll do it," said Scott in a determined tone.

"Are you nuts kid!?" said Logan who was shocked that he was so willing to do something like this, "You're gonna trust some whacked out stranger with some wild legend? You can't be serious "

"He's right man," said Evan as he approached his friend, "Look, what's happening to Jean is bad. In fact it's the worst. But killing yourself isn't going to solve a damn thing."

Scott looked undaunted as the words of his friends tried to reason with him, but to no avail. He had already made his decision.

"Then what do you suggest we do?" asked Scott.

"We go along with the Professor's plan and help Jeannie stop this thing herself," said Logan.

"Have you not been listening?" said Slayer, "That plan will only make this whole situation MUCH worse! This is the only way to truly stop it!"

"Yeah? And why should we believe you bub?" grunted Logan as sent a death glare towards the mutant warrior.

"If you don't believe me, then go ahead and probe my mind! You have my permission. I'll let down my mental defenses. Then you'll see that I speak the truth and only wish to stop this monster from leading us in to a very dark future."

The rest of the team looked intently at Professor Xavier, waiting for him to give the end verdict. Slayer eagerly awaited his response as well, for he would normally never let anybody in to his head. He had some of the strongest mental shields anybody could have. They were part psychic, part magic, and just part mental discipline. He had many reasons for this, but he tossed all those reasons aside for the sake of earning the trust of the X-men, which he so badly needed if he was to stop this monstrosity that had descended upon the world. This was a desperate time and he needed to do desperate things if he wanted to succeed.

All eyes were on the Professor now as he sensed Slayer letting down his shields for him to see. Then, his answer was clear.

"No, that won't be necessary Slayer," said Xavier.

"What?!" exclaimed Logan and some of the others.

"Your willingness to submit to a mental scan is warrant enough to believe that you are indeed telling the truth," stated the Professor.

"But Chuck, we don't even know this guy! He just up and came out of nowhere and now he's saying the only way to stop this Phoenix thing is for Scott to fucking kill himself?!" Logan's words were harsh, but his feelings were justified in a sense.

Slayer once again stepped forth to justify his actions. He hoped that he could somehow get the trust he desperately needed if he was to help them all stop the Phoenix once and for all.

"I understand your feelings Logan," said the mutant warrior, "And believe me, I would probably feel the same way if I was in your position. But this legend. This ancient legend that so many people died to pass on. Is the only way to save this world and stop the Phoenix once and for all."

Logan couldn't help but feel defeated in a sense, for his instinct kept telling him that this stranger was telling the truth .And this legend that he spoke of truly was the only way. But Logan and the others still didn't like it one bit because it involved losing someone they all cared about.

"So that it? You're saying Scott's gotta die or everybody dies?" said Logan with a great deal of anger still in his voice.

"Yes," said Slayer flatly knowing that there was no other way to respond.

The mighty mutant warrior sighed, for he understood Loan's apprehension towards him. He looked back towards Scott, who hadn't said a word since Logan's outburst. He seemed calm, but it was because Jean's life was hanging in the balance and Scott was all too willing to do whatever it took to save her. It saddened the mutant warrior to some extent because it meant giving away one life for another. He didn't need the all-seeing eye to see that Scott shared a special bond with Jean Grey, for he could sense it by his determination to save her from a force that could easily destroy them all. A solemn silence fell over the X-men, for they were truly at a loss for words. Either way they would lose somebody dear to them. There seemed to be no way around it. It was hard to accept because they had been through so much together over the years. They had survived their own personal hell on the streets and in their violent past. But now it seemed that someone was going to have to die no matter what. Each of the young students had seen too much death in their lives as it is, but now the death of a friend seemed too much to bear.

"Scott?" said Kurt as he broke the silence, "You can't be willing to go through with this, can you?"

Scott simply looked back at his friend. He had made his decision and knew he had to save Jean.

"Would you do the same if it was somebody you loved?" asked Scott.

Kurt then looked back at Kitty. He saw her sad eyes look back in remorse for what was happening. Then, Kurt tried to put himself in Scott's position and pictured the girl he loved being taken over by some dark entity. And soon it became clear.

"Yes, I would," said Kurt simply.

This only caused Kitty to tear up even more.

"Scott please, Don't do this. You're our friend! We need you!" exclaimed Kitty as her young mind struggled to process what was happening.

"Yeah Scott, You've been like a big brother to all of us," said Rogue who didn't want to see her friend die.

"We can find another way man, Don't go through with this!" said Evan as he desperately tried to talk his friend out of it, "And what if you did succeed huh? Think of how Jean would feel if she woke up to this world and the first thing she felt was you dying! She was sad enough when you were nearly killed before. Just think of how sad she's going to be if you died because of her!"

Scott thought about that for a moment. But it didn't change his mind. He was going to have to go through with this if Jean was to be safe. If he didn't, suffering would follow. And for somebody who knew suffering all too well, he couldn't le it happen. Scott was going to save Jean; it was as simple as that.

"I'm sorry guys, I really am. But I love Jean. And if my death is the only way to save her. So be it."

Nobody said a word after that, for they knew nothing would change Scott's mind. They knew all too well how much Scott and Jean loved each other. That only made it harder on them, knowing that one of them would have to die to save the other. However, there seemed to be no way around it.

Finally, Slayer broke the silence once more to say what he felt and show them his regret for being the one to tell them this horrid news.

"Look. I don't like being the one to have to tell you this any more than you all like having to hear it. But I have searched and searched through countless resources of knowledge. And this is the only way to stop the Phoenix. Believe me, if I could find another way I would do anything to make it so you all wouldn't have to face this. I really am sorry. But if Scott, the savior, doesn't do this it will only bring more suffering. You have the power kid. It's just a matter of how you use it."

And with those words, the path was set. Scott's fear for Jean's life had overshadowed his fear of death. He truly was the only one who could save her and countless others, but he was willing to make that sacrifice for the sake of the one he cared for most.

"I'll do it," said Scott, sounding both determined and anxious. "Slayer, how much time do we have?"

The mutant warrior hesitated, but he didn't falter.

"Less than two hours before the Phoenix completes to process and takes over the host."

"Then let's get ready. We're going to stop this thing once and for all."

***

*Less than two hours to go,* thought Scott to himself as he sat silently in his room for what very well may be the last time.

Most of the others were preparing for the final battle against the Phoenix.

They were helping to ready the X-jet, tending to wounds that they had sustained in the first fight, and trying to get mentally prepared for this dreadful mission. Scott knew everything was almost ready and soon they would leave for wherever the Phoenix had hidden itself. It would be the last time for him. He could feel it. When he had first encountered the mysterious mutant warrior and since he had told him of the legend, Scott had been very conflicted. However, now it seemed all too clear on the path he must take if he is to save Jean. As the clock kept ticking Scott looked around the room he had called his own for the last several months. He wanted to remember every inch, every detail of this room that had become his haven from all the ordeals he had to deal with in his brief life. Along the dresser, he looked at pictures of his friends that were taken since they arrived. Scott could see how they had grown from a bunch of traumatized, famished teenagers to something as close as family. The Professor, Logan, and Ororo had given them another chance at having a decent life, but now it seemed that didn't matter. Now all that mattered to Scott was saving the lives of his friends, and Jean. Then Scott's eyes drifted towards a picture of him and Jean that was taken not long after they started dating. He had his arms around her and she had her arms around him, and they were both smiling. He saw the happiness on both their faces and tried not to let it get to him that he may never feel that kind of feeling again. Slowly, he picked up the framed photo that had come to be his most prized.

"I'm sorry Jean. I wish I could give you more. You deserve more," said Scott to the picture as if he thought he could talk to Jean through it, "But, I guess it just wasn't in the cards for us. Even after all we've been through together, and all the gifts you've given me, I just want you to know that I am willing to die for you. Because you mean so much to me. And there's nothing I wouldn't give to kiss you. One last time."

Scott gently put the picture back down and let out a deep sigh. Then, he turned his attention towards the object that rested against his bed. His guitar. Slowly, he picked it up and rested it on his knees. This simple instrument had helped him and his friends through some of the worst times on the streets. It helped them through times of great starvation, loneliness, and depression. Scott always loved to play it. Just like his father use to for him and Alex. But after today, this guitar will be forever silent. With that thought in mind, Scott Summers began to play what promised to be his last song. It was a song that was inspired by Jean and he hadn't been able to finish it. Until now. As he began to sing, he hoped that somehow, someway, Jean could hear him.

Ba da ba da da da ah ya ya
Ba da da da ba ba ee ah

There used to be a graying tower alone on the sea
You became the light on the dark side of me
Love remained a drug that's the high and not the pill
But did you know
That when it snows
My eyes become large and...
The light that you shine can be seen

Baby...I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave
Ooh,
The more I get of you
The stranger it feels, yeah
And now that your rose is in bloom
A light hits the gloom on the grave

Ba da ba da da da ah ya ya
Ba da da da ba ba ee ah
Ba ya ya ba ba de ba da da da ah ya ya

There is so much a man can tell you
So much he can say
You remain...
My power, my pleasure, my pain...baby

To me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny...yeah
Won't you tell me is that healthy, baby?
But did you know
That when it snows
My eyes become large
And the light that you shine can be seen

Baby...I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave
Ooh,
The more I get of you
The stranger it feels, yeah
Now that your rose is in bloom
A light hits the gloom on the grave
I've been kissed by a rose on the grave
I've been kissed by a rose on the grave
I've been kissed by a rose on the grave...And if I should fall, at all
I've been kissed by a rose on the grave

There is so much a man can tell you
So much he can say
You remain...
My power, my pleasure, my pain

To me you're like a growing addiction that I can't deny, yeah
Won't you tell me is that healthy, baby?
But did you know
That when it snows
My eyes become large
And the light that you shine can be seen

Baby...I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave
Ooh,
The more I get of you
The stranger it feels, yeah
Now that your rose is in bloom
A light hits the gloom on the grave

Yes I compare you to a kiss from a rose on the grave
Ooh,
The more I get of you
The stranger it feels, yeah
And now that your rose is in bloom
A light hits the gloom on the grave

Ba da ba da da da ah ya ya
Ba da da da ba ba ee ah
Ba ya ya ba ba de ba da da da ah ya ya

Now that your rose is in bloom
A light hits the gloomy
On the grave...

As the song ended, Scott just sat in silence for what seemed like an eternity. Then, he heard a knock on the door.

"Scott? Are you ready?" said Logan.

Scott got up and took one last look at his room, the picture, and his guitar then turned away and opened his door to see a solemn, yet still stoic, Logan standing before him.

"I'm ready," said Scott.

There was no turning back now. Jean's life, and the lives of countless others, were hanging in the balance. Scott took a deep breath as he followed Logan to the X-jet. For the Phoenix was waiting.

chap thirty

back